Time to get over the hump again Steelers’ fans, it’s Wednesday.
The Steelers and Lions had their first joint practice yesterday and as you’d expect in these types of situations, there were up and down moments for both teams. Here are some of the highlights:
- Lions’ cornerback Darius Slay wanted Antonio Brown and he got him. AB had his way with the Slay (see what I did there?) most of the afternoon which shouldn’t surprise anyone.
- Both Cam Heyward and Javon Hargrave had some really good moments against the Lions’ offensive line. Heyward over-powered Laken Tomlinson several times while Hargrave used his speed to crack gaps.
- Troubling moment of the day was when Matthew Stafford led the Lions on a 16-play drive for a score. WR Marvin Jones, yes, that Marvin Jones formerly of the Bengals, had six receptions on the drive.
- Ben Roethlisberger was absent from practice yesterday in what Mike Tomlin said was a “one day deal.”
- Both Travis Feeney and Artie Burns continue to miss practice. For Burns it means his chances of contributing this season are diminishing while for Feeney it could mean not even being on the team.
- While AB was dominating on his end, Le’Veon Bell looked very good in the running game a well. He showed his typical skills in terms of spinning, cutting and jukes.
The two teams will go at it again this evening at 515pmET in Latrobe.
Steelers’ beat writer Ed Bouchette said yesterday in his weekly chat that he believes Eli Rogers will be the starter in the slot receiver position come week one. That sounds about right based on what we are hearing and seeing. Lot of time to go yet though.
Chris G. offers up an intriguing trade possibility this morning with a familiar partner.
Tweet of the Day… No words necessary.
— Antonio Brown (@AB84) August 9, 2016
Rookie offensive tackle Jerald Hawkins had a pretty good day yesterday until hurting his shoulder. No word on the severity yet.
AB is giving away two tickets to the game on Friday night. Make sure you are following his social media accounts for your chance to win.
I offered up this piece on William Gay yesterday. Probably long overdue.
Have a great day Steeler Nation!