Good Wednesday to you Steelers fans.
Trying to decipher what an NFL Head Coach says in a press conference is often like trying to understand the waiter at a French restaurant in the middle of Paris. He doesn’t want to be there, he really doesn’t care for you and what he has to say is probably not 100% accurate. So the next time you order the filet mignon in France make sure that’s exactly what you get. Mike Tomlin was actually more forthcoming with some things than I anticipated. Let me run you through the highlights and give you my best possible interpretation where necessary…
- On the QB situation: He is “open to all options.” Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins will compete but I got the sense that the Steelers will entertain bringing in a veteran, especially one that has mobility. While I’m also not convinced they draft Ben Roethlisberger’s successor in this draft, Tomlin didn’t rule it out.
- On injuries: No significant surgeries are needed at this time. That’s actually a pretty big deal. It’s unusual not to have a couple of guys getting some serious repairs done.
- On Matt Canada: He’s “optimistic about what he can do.” In other words, Canada will be back for year two.
- On Kendrick Green: He acknowledged that JC Hassenauer gave them a better opportunity to win. Suggests moving Green to guard is possible.
- On Stephon Tuitt/Tyson Alualu: Tomlin said he had not talked to either yet. Mark Kaboly reported last night that Alualu, who will be 35, wants to return. I’m told privately that Tuitt wants to be done with football. Not sure on that.
- On Keith Butler: Tomlin said there were conversations about Butler retiring at the end of the season but nothing official yet. I believe that happens and Teryl Austin will be elevated.
- On Zach Banner/Devin Bush coming off ACLs: Acknowledges both have work to do but sounds like both will return in ’22.
- On Joe Haden/Ahkello Witherspoon: Didn’t close the door on either returning.
Those are the highlights among many things he covered. Next up will be Team President Art Rooney II in the coming weeks and then Kevin Colbert likely at the Combine.
Tweet of the Day… I can be as critical as anyone out there but the number of people tweeting ugly, hurtful things towards Diontae Johnson is embarrassing. Do better people.
Don’t believe everything you see lol..
— Diontae Johnson (@Juiceup__3) January 18, 2022
Yeah, I can’t believe we are at this point either… We are going to attack things a little differently this year. Rather than try to knock out draft profiles of everyone, we are going to do our evaluating by school. This will give us an opportunity to do more players and still knock out profiles of some of the more highly touted prospects. We hope you enjoy the new approach. We’re very excited about it!
Our New Podcast Account
For those in the Twittersphere, we’ve created a brand new account strictly for the podcast. Obviously we will still tweet things out from our usual SCB account and our personal ones as well. Here’s the new username for those interested. @SCB_Podcast
Our Online Store
Please visit our online store! We have been so fortunate to work with DC4L Custom Tees! They are wonderful to work with and are willing to work with you on just about any design you can come up with! Check out our latest celebrating TJ Watt!!
Quick Hitters is presented by