Good Wednesday to you Steelers’ fans.
Until I’m told otherwise, I’m pushing ahead as if this season is going to happen so I was thinking last night about the things the need to go right for the Steelers to return to the postseason in 2020. Off the top of my head, I came up with five things. I’ll certainly forget some and may perhaps over-hype some too but as I sit here on the first of July this is what I need to see from the Steelers.
- Ben Roethlisberger’s health is a must. If this isn’t at the top of your list then you’re doing it wrong. If Big Ben misses more than a couple of games then the Steelers are in trouble.
- An effective and efficient running game. No one is saying the Steelers need to lead the NFL in rushing, but they have to be able to run the ball on a regular basis. That means two things; a healthy James Conner and a more consistent O-Line.
- JuJu has to be JuJu. It’s easy to pile on JuJu Smith-Schuster for his sub-par season last year but remember his health was not 100% most of the season and he had the increased pressure of being the top WR. With Ben back, that will help his situation tremendously. With Diontae Johnson and Eric Ebron that will help too.
- Defensive Depth must step up. We all agree that this defense could be one of the greats in Steelers’ history but the performance of depth players will factor into that. The unit is very thin with quality depth at both linebacker spots and along the defensive line. Who fills in for Minkah Fitzpatrick and/or Terrell Edmunds is also a major question mark.
- Randy Fichtner has to be better. OK, we know he had to work with a tough situation at QB for the majority of 2019 but that doesn’t mean his play selection and personnel groupings can’t be better in 2020.
As I prefaced, there are are things to add but those will be for another time.
Tweet of the Day… One of the more remarkable things in all of sports continues today as the New York Mets send out yet another payment to Bobby Bonilla.
Bobby Bobilla, the only MLB player getting paid today. pic.twitter.com/Xd1J8lep9A
— Ben Anderson (@BenAnderson58) July 1, 2020
The Second Half
Today officially begins the second half of 2020 and as I often do, I put things in the perspective of sports. If this year were a football game, we’d be down by three touchdowns and would be in need of one helluva halftime speech. Of our three great head coaches, who would you want inspiring you for the second half? Chuck Noll? Bill Cowher? Mike Tomlin? I’m probably going to to go with “The Chin” on this one.
I realize not all of you are video gamers but there’s a good chance at some point you’ve played a game of Madden Football on your Sega Genesis, XBox or PlayStation. It appears that many fans of the long running series are fed up with the lack of advancements and forward thinking as the new game gets ready to come out. Several pointed to the fact that some facets have remained unchanged in almost seven to eight years. My thought is this… As someone who grew up when sports games were nothing more than a couple of ‘squares’ battling it out on a green screen, we should be grateful that games have evolved the way they have. However, I also understand why fans feel EA Sports can do better too. There are still many things they can do to make the experience even more realistic.
Have a great day Steeler Nation!
QH is presented by