The hills of St. Vincent College will be quiet today as the Steelers and Lions will have a practice closed to the public. Tomorrow night they’ll do it for real, well, not “for real” but you know what I mean at Heinz Field.
Before I get to the highlights of yesterday’s practice with Detroit, let me address the Antonio Brown ‘dust-up’ that occurred near the end. If you missed it, Brown got very animated towards an official who should have called pass interference but didn’t. Brown told him the following:
Antonio Brown to ref: "You had a free lunch and you still haven't made a call today."
— Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly) August 11, 2016
Certainly not the worst thing that AB could have said right? The official, who has been in the league 11 years, allegedly told Darrius Heyward-Bey he was going to throw Brown out of practice and would be reporting him to the league. Sounds to me like the official has thin skin and needs to get a little less sensitive. At the same time, Brown needs to be careful. Yes, all receivers are typically ‘divas’ and he’s no different but he’s gotta check that behavior a bit in my opinion.
Anyway, on to practice…
- After a very tame practice on Tuesday, things were much more heated between the two teams yesterday. Besides AB going at the ref and some Lions’ DBs, Le’Veon Bell also got into a little fracas with a Lions’ linebacker as well.
- Even Fitz Toussaint got into it after he was aggressively tackled. It was a ‘non-tackling’ drill according to our eyes in the sky.
- I found it a bit interesting that Lions’ cornerback Darius Slay didn’t practice on Wednesday. The day before he ‘wanted’ AB and he got him! Brown got the best of him most of the day.
- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was back yesterday following a one day excused absence. He threw three touchdown passes during his time on the field against the Lions.
- The concern of the day is over Steelers’ rookie Sean Davis who had a noticeable limp and a large ice pack on his knee. Stay tuned on this one.
Tweet of the Day… Da Beard at PNC
Fun night at the @Pirates game. #DaBeard is the perfect popcorn catcher.
We are so lucky to live in such a great sports tahn. #DaBurgh!
— Brett Keisel (@bkeisel99) August 11, 2016
Chris G. raised a very intriguing trade question yesterday.
Are the Steelers really set at tight end? I asked the question earlier this morning.
Hey, the Steelers are back on the field tomorrow night!!!!! Have a great day Steeler Nation!